Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 1, 2010

A poet in uniform

Kanchan Siddiqui ANDAL, 14 APRIL 2010: A poet and a policeman. That's how Mr Jitendranath Goswami, a sub-inspector with the state police, describes himself with a deprecating smile.Currently posted in Midnapore East district, Mr Goswami had earlier served with the State Armed Police. He also did stints at the Bhatar and Andal police stations. From Barjora in Bankura, Mr Goswami started policing in 1984. But it was in 1999 that his first compilation of poems was published.Does he find it difficult balancing his poetic sensibilities with his professional brief? “The poet and the policeman in me live quite amicably. There is no conflict. I love being a poet and a policeman.” But Mr Goswami finds it disappointing that the people whom the custodians of law are assigned to serve, prefer to keep a distance from their protectors. “It’s a pity that a policeman is always looked down upon by people though he is tasked with taking care of them.” He added: “I always feel depressed when having to face the people’s wrath. It happened in Andal and in Bhatar, Burdwan. I don't understand why people can’t accept a policeman as a friend.”“Ke je kokhon thomke darai/ Kon je banke Acholoyaton jibon jure” ~ was a line inspired by the travails of a woman deserted by her husband who had turned to police to seek redress. “I was so moved... I felt I had to capture her agony in poetry.”Mr Goswami found his mentor in former Durgapur ASP Mr PK Das who, upon discovering Mr Goswami’s verse in leading literary magazines, took the initiative to bring out a compilation of Mr Goswami's works. “I was hesitant but he (Mr Das) egged me on. All the copies of of my first volume of poetry Dighol Samudre Raktim Surjyodoy have been sold out.” His second book of verses will be published soon. Mr Goswami’s wife Chaitali, a dancer herself, appreciates her husband’s poetic sensibilities. She said: “My husband is a poet and a policeman. But it’s his pure heart that I treasure the most.”

No comments: